City of Goose Creek
IF A CONDITIONAL OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT IS MADE, APPLICANT(S) MUST SUCCESSFULLY PASS A BACKGROUND SCREENING, PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG TEST AND PHYSICAL (IF REQUIRED BY THE POSITION). ADDITIONAL TESTING IS REQUIRED FOR SPECIFIED POSITIONS AND POLICE DEPARTMENT APPLICANTS.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSTION, PRINT AND COMPLETE THE ATTACHED DOCUMENTS. FORWARD TO:
CITY OF GOOSE CREEK, ATTN: HUMAN RESOURCES, P. O. DRAWER 1768, GOOSE CREEK, SC 29445 OR email@example.com
RESUMES ARE ENCOURAGED, BUT WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED WITHOUT A COMPLETED APPLICATION. A TEN YEAR DRIVING RECORD IS REQUIRED AT TIME OF APPLICATION.
DEPARTMENT: Public Works
JOB SUMMARY: Provides technical and design functions related to public work engineering and mapping projects.
SAFETY: The employee is responsible for adhering to all safety procedures and regulations established by the Department, the City and all State and Federal organizations. Any safety concern should be reported to a supervisor immediately.
• Reviews and corrects engineering records created and maintained in Computer-Aided Design (CAD) programs.
• Utilizes CAD and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to create, update, and prepare maps, plans, profiles, and detailed drawings from various notes and sketches.
• Provides users with technical assistance, training, and support related to the operation of the GIS and CAD systems to ensure accuracy and maintain quality standards and assists staff in resolving daily operational and technical problems.
• Coordinates and prioritizes mapping projects and prepares the layout and design of a variety of maps.
• Performs GIS application programming.
• Establishes and maintains reports utilizing the city’s application database.
• Develops and maintains system and user documentation and procedures.
• Maintains records of all problems, solutions, and resources used.
• Analyzes user requirements, designs, and development solutions.
• Enters and retrieves data from computer information systems, determines which geographic data are necessary to create infrastructure maps and related documents.
• Consults with staff using GIS to determine the scope of their needs; designs and executes projects that best serve these needs with the department resources.
• Responds to GIS data requests for various departments and public and private agencies.
• Gathers information required for field location of city facilities; makes field measurements and sketches; performs routine calculations and analysis, and maintains and updates a variety of infrastructure records, charts, and maps.
• Prepares clear and concise records, reports, and correspondence.
• Develops and maintains standards to ensure quality and consistency in work products.
• Evaluates and recommends products and determines compatibility with existing systems.
• Integrates current and planned computer systems in conjunction with Information Technology Dept.
• Follows applicable safety rules and regulations.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Knowledge of the methods and techniques used in the application and use of Geographic Information Systems operations.
• Proficient in the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software, such as ArcInfo and ArcView.
• Proficient in computer aided design using AutoCAD software.
• Basic knowledge of engineering design and construction practices.
• Proficient in the application of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.
• Ability to effectively prepare maps using GIS and AutoCAD.
• Ability to conceptualize spatial data.
• Ability to update and manage computer file systems.
• Ability to test software upgrades, maintain map related records; follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Director assigns work with instructions that are in terms of goals and objectives. The Assistant Director/City Engineer reviews work for compliance with procedures and may verify the final results of the work.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include OSHA, DHEC, State and Federal water, stormwater and solid waste rules and regulations, Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials Standards, International Building Codes, SCDOT Design and Construction Standards, engineering design and inspection procedures, labor laws, Community Appearance and Sanitation Codes, City and departmental policies and procedures. These guidelines are general and require interpretation.
COMPLEXITY: Under general supervision, performs moderately difficult civil engineering tasks related to a wide variety of public works projects. The work consists of duties related to the drafting, inspection and record keeping of various engineering projects for the department. Position is complex due to the number of regulations and laws that require compliance in addition to coordination between municipal, county and state agencies.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to provide assistance in the planning, design and evaluation of public works projects and in applying technical drafting techniques to the review and preparation of engineering drawings for the department in order to ensure compliance with all applicable standards and regulations. Errors can cause lost time, rework, additional costs and endangerment to public health. Successful work results in the City providing customers with the completion of quality projects for our customers.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with other department personnel, Engineers, regulatory officials, representatives from other organizations and the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give or exchange information and provide services, coordinate projects, resolve problems and answer complaints.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, or walking. Work for sustained periods of time maintaining concentrated attention to detail.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed in an office with a computer and occasionally outdoors in hot, cold, or inclement weather.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: N/A
• Associate’s degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, Geography, Computer Science or related field.
• Three years of increasingly responsible experience performing GIS and CAD functions in a public works, utility, or engineering organization. Any combination of related education and work experience totaling five years is acceptable.
• Valid South Carolina Driver’s License.
Associate’s degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, Geography, Computer Science or related field. Three years of increasingly responsible experience performing GIS and CAD functions in a public works, utility, or engineering organization. Any combination of related education and work experience totaling five years is acceptable. Valid South Carolina Driver’s License.
Original Posting: http://www.cityofgoosecreek.com/jobs.aspx?jobID=68