To manage all aspects of the plant records, including the plant database, mapping and GIS.
- Maintain accurate plant records in the Filemaker Pro database by entering new accessions, de-accessions, notes, images, sources and other data updates.
- Update mapping by surveying new plants, beds, structures, pathways, facilities, utilities, etc. with GPS equipment.
- Perform plant inventories.
- Create all necessary labels for plants in the collection. Assists with installation of labels.
- Research and verify plant names.
- Create new fields, architecture and relationships in the database as needed.
- Maintain and update GIS.
- Remain current on all new technology and software relating to plant records management.
- Work with contractors, consultants and temporary employees, and aid in supervision and training of interns.
- With managerial approval, source, procure and purchase office supplies, hardware, software, and other materials and equipment.
- Serve as the organizational resource for providing information on the living collections by providing training, instruction, updates and reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and experience:
Bachelorʼs degree in Computer Science, Horticulture, Plant Science, Geography or related field or any other equivalent combination of training, skills and experience.
Preferred: Previous professional experience with databases, GIS and botanical gardens and arboreta. Knowledge of common landscape plants of the southeast.
Ability to lift 30 lbs. Ability to operate standard office equipment.
Willingness and ability to perform some work outside in all weather conditions. Ability to carry, climb, push, stoop, reach, dig and to load and unload various objects. Strong organizational skills and ability to keep accurate and detailed records. Ability to develop, manage and coordinate multiple activities and projects. Must possess a valid South Carolina driver’s license or be willing to obtain one.
Office work, with time spent working outside collecting data and conducting inventories. Summers are hot and humid with exposure to biting insects and occasional poison ivy.
This is a full time exempt position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical coverage, paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, etc.
About the garden:
Moore Farms Botanical Garden is a nonprofit organization set on over 500 acres near Lake City, South Carolina. The garden is cultivated on 50 acres and is a dynamic mix of formal, naturalistic and agrarian landscapes. Garden areas include a formal garden, vegetable garden, green roof, turf farm, muscadine vineyard, pond gardens, formal shrub borders, and a greenhouse and nursery. Other land use includes agriculture, forestry and wildlife habitat. We are currently in a period of growth in both our horticultural displays and programming. This is a very exciting time to be part of the MFBG team. Please visit our website at moorefarmsbg.org to learn more.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Ethan Kauffman at email@example.com.